Colorado College Buildings Information
CC Special Collections staff compiled the information below in 1984. We sporadically and imperfectly revise this page. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Note: In the summer of 1988, several CC buildings were given new street addresses. In the list, the current address is given first.
ALPHA TAU DELTA FRATERNITY
ADDRESS: 1319 N. Nevada (1913); 9 W. Boulder; 20 E. San Rafael (1910)
Alpha Tau Delta was the predecessor fraternity to Phi Delta Theta (founded 1913). The group began on campus in 1909.
ADDRESS:14 E. Cache La Poudre (1988); 900 N. Cascade Ave.
Armstrong Hall is named for Willis R. Armstrong of Colorado Springs, a graduate and trustee of Colorado College. Donated by the Olin Foundation the building housed, at various times, an 800 seat auditorium, a small classroom theater for rehearsals and classroom experiments, the offices of the President, deans, the registrar, central services, mail room, admissions, business offices, financial aid, the audio visual center, a computer center, a language laboratory, classrooms and seminar rooms, and the departments of classics, English, foreign languages, drama, philosophy and religion. The great hall was used for in-person class registration.
ADDRESS: 1106 N. Nevada Ave
Built in 1881 by Lyman K. Bass, an attorney for General Palmer’s Denver and Rio Grande Railroad, this lovely home was the scene of many gatherings and dinner parties for the society of “Little London” as Colorado Springs was called. The Tudor style home had rich paneling, beamed and hand decorated ceilings, tiled fireplaces and exquisite “jeweled glass” by John LaFarge in transoms and windows. According to rumor, U.S. President Chester Alan Arthur bought the 22 room stone mansion for his son Chester Alan Arthur III. The 3 story sandstone building, once called “Edgeplain,” was briefly leased to Colorado College in 1925 for use as the Phi Delta Theta fraternity house. From 1929 to 1960, it was the residence of John and Charlotte Shaver. The college purchased the house in 1962, and it is now a residence hall for about 24 students.
BACA CAMPUS, BACA LODGE
ADDRESS: Crestone, Colorado, 175 miles southwest of Colorado Springs
CC leased facilities at the Baca (pronounced BOCK-uh) townhouse complex just outside Crestone, Colorado from 1987-1990, when they purchased buildings and land there. In 1992 the college completed construction on the Lodge, a Southwestern-style building accommodating up to 24 students. CC classes regularly spend 4-5 days at the Baca. Meals are prepared at the Desert Sage Restaurant.
ADDRESS: 1040 N. Nevada Ave.
ADDRESS: 921 N. Nevada Ave.
ADDRESS: 920 N. Cascade (1988); 938 N. Cascade Ave.
USE: Women’s Residence Hall for 83 women, large English dining hall for 250 persons. Housing Office, Common Room, reception room, Cogswell Theater, kitchen, store rooms
Bemis Hall was built in 1908 for about $100,000. For many years it was the social center for women on campus. The building was named for Judson M. Bemis, a major donor along with General William Jackson Palmer. The residence was designed so the public rooms are on the north side, and students’ rooms in most cases have a western or southern view of the mountains. Until 2001, the building had its own dining room. About 80 women live here, mostly in single rooms. The Housing office is located in Bemis Hall.
Cogswell Theater, named for Alice Cogswell Bemis, wife of Judson Bemis, is located in Bemis basement. The theater’s grand opening was held on April 10, 1910. It was the scene of the preparation of most college plays for at least the next thirty years, until the Fine Arts Center was completed. In 1944 Woodson Tyree reactivated the theater, and a radio control room was added to help in Radio Workshop productions.
In 1956, the college built an addition onto the east side of Bemis, Taylor Hall, named for Alice Bemis Taylor, daughter of Judson Bemis and Alice Cogswell Bemis. Its first use was as a dining hall. By spring of 1995, the eastern part of the addition had become Taylor Theatre (with the British spelling) (see the Catalyst, March 10, 1995, p. 16). The Press at Colorado College moved into the western part of the addition in 2009 and is still there in 2021.
ADDRESS: 1117 N. Nevada Ave.
BETA THETA PI (see also Lennox House)
ADDRESS: 1110 N. Tejon, north east corner of Tejon & San Rafael (formerly Newbold House); 1001 N. Nevada (see Lennox House entry); 727 N. Nevada (1919) (Lowell Residence); 119 E. Dale St. (1918); 1103 N. Weber
Founded 1914. Moved several times, including May 1935 and 1960 to make room for fraternity residences.
ADDRESS: 112 E. San Rafael
BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES CURRICULUM STUDY OFFICE
ADDRESS: 1115 N. Cascade
BOETTCHER HEALTH CENTER
ADDRESS: 1106 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 1104 N. Cascade Ave.
When Boettcher Health Center was built with funds provided by the Boettcher Foundation, two concepts influenced the design. It had to be economical to operate and staff, a requirement easily met by the circular design. It had to provide an environment that would encourage students to maintain their studies as patients (a requirement even more important under the block plan). Thus the center has study lounges in addition to examination rooms and private treatment rooms, a laboratory, kitchen, reception area and counseling center.
The 15 bed center is air conditioned. The basement has recently been remodeled as a wellness area, and has facilities for workshops, exercise classes, and a human performance lab. A physician is available 20 hours per week, and nurses are on duty 24 hours per day. A variety of health related workshops and seminars are scheduled throughout the year at the center.
The Counseling Center offers counseling in study skills, stress management, eating disorders, relationships, and many other types of personal problems.
ADDRESS: 112 E. San Rafael (when built B.C. Allen)
ADDRESS: 1131 N. Cascade
The tan stucco English design building was the former home of B.C. Allen. It was converted into 12 apartments in 1938. The college acquired the building in approximately 1983.
ADDRESS: North Cheyenne Canyon
In spring 1882, President E.P. Tenney of Colorado College created The Colorado College Land Company as a means to raise money for the College. Tenney brought his brother-in-law Walter Hatch from Illinois to administer the Colorado Springs Investment and Improvement Company (part of the Land Company). Hatch acquired 960 acres in North Cheyenne Canon and at the mouth of South Cheyenne Canon. The property was called The Colorado College Park. Walter & Mary (Tenney’s sister) Hatch lived in a cabin on 320 acres near one of the waterfalls. Controversy surrounded Tenney’s control and use of the land and roads there. In 1885 the city of Colorado Springs purchased 640 acres for a park. The Hatches retained control of the 320 acres around their cabin. One report is that General Palmer later bought their cabin and renamed it Bruin Inn. Another report is that in 1881 Bruin Inn was constructed by William Strieby, Chemistry professor at Colorado College; possibly he helped Hatch build the cabin. Upon completion, it became the property of CC. A Bruin Inn brochure says that a wall of the dining room was part of the Hatch cabin. In 1916 a visitor center was built as a curio shop and called the “Cub”.
CAMP COLORADO, MANITOU PARK
William Palmer donated 10,000 acres in 1905. The 65,000 acres north of Woodland Park included 13,000 acres of timberland. In 1912 the trustees sold the ranch and hotel property at Manitou Park to B. Zandruss of York, Nebraska (about 3000 acres).
HOUSES ON CASCADE
ADDRESS: 827 N. Cascade
ADDRESS: 831 N. Cascade
ADDRESS: 1114 N. Cascade
ADDRESS: 1123 N. Cascade
ADDRESS: 1124 & 1/2 N. Cascade
ADDRESS: 1125 N. Cascade
ADDRESS: 1131 N. Cascade (Breton Hall)
ADDRESS: 1136 N. Cascade
ADDRESS: 1140 N. Cascade (1988)
ADDRESS: 1150 N. Cascade (1988)
ADDRESS: 931 N. Nevada
Originally a seven-room English manor style stucco home. When the Children’s Center opened in late August 1987, the facility could accommodate up to 20 children (ten preschoolers, five toddlers, and five infants).
CLUB HOUSE, STUDENTS
ADDRESS: 1896 rear of Hagerman Hall
ADDRESS: 6 E. Cache la Poudre; N. E. Corner Cascade & Cache Le Poudre
THE COLLEGE (1874-1880)
ADDRESS: 200 block of North Tejon Street
J. Juan Reid, Colorado College: The First Century (1979), pp. 11-12: “During the summer of 1874, the board of trustees borrowed $1,550 to build a three-room frame school building in the 200 block of North Tejon Street, opposite Acacia Park and adjoining the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. On Wednesday, September 9, the college division with twelve students opened in the new schoolhouse with Jonathan Edwards and Solon T. French as instructors. The church next door was made available to the college for student assemblies and daily prayer meetings.” This was “the College” until January 1880 (see Cutler Hall).
ADDRESS: 818 N. Tejon St.
ADDRESS: West of Cutler Hall adjacent to power house (1940)
ADDRESS: N.E. Corner N. Cascade Ave. & Columbia St.
The 3 story 16 room frame College Club House as it was called was built in Swiss cottage style had two parlors, two dining rooms and kitchen, six rooms on the second floor and four in the attic. In 1882 women paid $3.50 per week for room and board. During the summer of 1883 board was furnished for $4.50 and rooms for $1.00 a week. President Tenney and his family took their meals at the Club. Social events and religious services were planned by the group.
CORNERSTONE ARTS CENTER (Edith Kinney Gaylord Cornerstone Arts Center)
ADDRESS: 825 N. Cascade Ave.
An interdisciplinary arts teaching and performance building with a 450-seat main theater, screening room, digital media labs, performance studios, costume shop, scene shop, “messy room,” and flexible classrooms, along with the IDEA Space (InterDisciplinary Experimental Arts), an installation area for exhibitions, speakers, films, workshops and performances.
Edith Kinney Gaylord, also known as Edith Gaylord Harper, CC alum and trustee, died in 2001. She founded the Inasmuch Foundation, which donated 10 million dollars to the project. On October 5, 2009 the U.S. Green Building Council awarded the building a gold LEED certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design).
COSSITT MEMORIAL HALL
ADDRESS: 906 N. Cascade (1988); 920 N. Cascade Ave.
Cossitt Hall was built in 1914 as a men’s hall, the gift of Mrs. A. D. Juillard (a cousin of President Slocum’s) in honor of her father, Frederick H. Cossitt. It contained both an indoor and an outdoor gym, locker rooms, a kitchen, a dining hall for men, a common room and a stadium. After El Pomar Sports Complex was built Cossitt was used for a short time for women’s athletics. The south side of Cossitt Bowl was removed in 1957.
For a time, Cossitt housed the Writing Center, the CC Mountain Club, the Outdoor Recreation Center, SAGA food Service offices, and the Department of Dance. The Outdoor Recreation Center rents camping equipment to students. In 2004, the Writing Center moved to Tutt Library. In 2006, Comparative Literature and Classics moved into the space the Writing Center left, and a Faculty Commons opened in Cossit C.
ADDRESS: 912 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 930 N. Cascade Ave.
Cutler Hall is the oldest building on campus. It was built in High Victorian Gothic revival style from rough ashlar masonry with wall faces of trachyte quarried at Douglas Station near Castle Rock. The trim is white Manitou stone. The building, without the north and south wings, was first occupied January 5, 1880, and was known simply as “the College.” This new building contained classrooms, a library, an auditorium (which also served as a chapel), a laboratory, and administrative offices for the president, treasurer and deans. Each room was heated by a pot bellied stove and kerosene lamps hung from the ceiling. In 1882 the wings were added, and five years after that running water and a water closet were added. Beginning in 1890, the building was known as Palmer Hall and housed a preparatory or “feeder” school for the College, Cutler Academy, named after Henry Cutler of Massachusetts. Cutler Academy was phased out in 1915. From 1914 to 1931 the departments of Engineering, Forestry, and Geology occupied the building. The College’s administrative offices were moved to Cutler in 1937.
The interior of the building has been remodeled several times. The offices of development and college relations occupied the building in the 1980s. From 1991 onward, Cutler housed the admissions and financial aid offices. A stone patio entrance and low stone wall were built in the summer of 2010.
DELTA ALPHI PHI
ADDRESS: 1015 N. Nevada (1931); 315 E. Yampa; 831 N. Cascade (1926)
DELTA GAMMA SORORITY
ADDRESS: Moved to East Campus, ca. 2000. Formerly: 1156 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 1102 Wood Ave.
DELTA GAMMA SORORITY
ADDRESS: 42 W. Cache la Poudre
ADDRESS: 1109 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 1105 N. Cascade Ave.
The Mediterranean style stucco building with a red tile roof was named for Joseph Jackson Dern, CC trustee 1935-1939, 1942-1946. The house was occupied by Joseph G. Dern and members of the Dern family until 1955. Joseph G. Dern was President of Colorado Savings Bank of Colorado Springs. Son Joseph J. was vice president of Dern Food Co, importers of tea, coffee roasters, and coffee makers.
ADDRESS: 1123 N. Cascade Ave
The site selected is the center of a small triangle formed by the intersection of walks in front of Cossitt Hall and east of their intersection.
The Flagpole base embodies a number of symbols dear to the hearts of all Colorado College men and women. The Colorado state flower, the Columbine, is represented in the border at the base of the pole. The official shield and seal of the college – an open book with the motto ‘Scientia et Disciplina’ – is found adjoining each corner of the base.
The four life like Tigers speak for themselves and for us. At the apex of the pole may be seen the national emblem of the United States of America, the Eagle, who is perhaps most at home right here in the Rockies.
The flagpole was officially presented to the college, June 9, 1931. It was moved about 100 feet west during the summer of 1988.
EAST CAMPUS HOUSING COMMUNITY
ADDRESS: southeast corner of Nevada Avenue and Uintah Street
ADDRESS: Between Palmer Hall and Nevada Ave.
JONATHAN EDWARDS HOUSE
ADDRESS: 1019 N. Nevada
EL POMAR SPORTS CENTER
ADDRESS: 44 W. Cache La Poudre (1988); 110 W. Cache La Poudre
The Sports Complex, a gift of the El Pomar Foundation, consists of 2 gymnasiums, one with balcony seating for 1420, rooms for wrestling, weight lifting and workouts, handball and squash courts, and locker rooms for varsity and intramural parti¬cipants. On the lower level, an astroturfed room provides indoor practice for track, baseball, football, golf and tennis. The building also has offices for the Director of Athletics, the Physical Education department, and the coaching staff.
ADDRESS: 116 E. San Rafael
Moved to make room for fraternity houses, 1960.
GAMMA PHI BETA SORORITY
ADDRESS: 1152 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 1110 Wood Ave.
ADDRESS: 1105 N. Cascade Ave.(1988); 16 East San Rafael
ADDRESS: 1130 Wood; 1144 N. Cascade
Built for Dr. Bartlett of pink brick with white trim and posts. Dr. Bartlett sold it to E.S. Parsons, who was Dean of Colorado College, in 1906. Parsons sold it in 1918 to Horace Gooch. Owned by the Colorado College in 1970.
ADDRESS: 911 N. Nevada Ave. (1940’s US Navy dormitory)
LUCY PHINNEY GREGG HOUSE
ADDRESS: 1110 N. Tejon
Lucy Phinney Gregg was a member of the sociology department and was dean of women 1919-1922.
ADDRESS: southwest of Cutler Hall
The rectangular frame building was built with funds raised by students. It was in use until Cossitt Hall was completed.
ADDRESS: 910 N. Cascade; North west corner Cascade & Cache la Poudre
Named in honor of J.J. Hagerman, CC trustee 1889-1908.
ADDRESS: 1148 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 1122 Wood Ave.
Hamlin House was purchased in 1943 by the El Pomar Foundation for the college from Clarence C. Hamlin, editor of the Gazette Telegraph. The 14-room house was designed by Nicholas Van Den Arend in 1918 for Clarence P. Dodge, also editor of the Gazette. The architect was noted for incorporating the famous Van Briggle tiles into the buildings he designed. Several such tiles can be seen in fireplaces in the building.
ADDRESS: 1196 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 1146 N. Cascade Ave.
This 2 1/2 story, 14-room house was first occupied by Mrs. Ida M. Rice (widow of Dr. David H. Rice). Henry O. Puffer occupied the house from 1938-1941. The house is red brick with a red tile roof in the Georgian style. Probably named for Thomas Nelson Haskell, founder of Colorado College, though he never lived there.
ADDRESS: 823 N. Cascade Ave.
Now Numismatic Association parking lot (1972) At one time housed Depts. of English and Modern Foreign Languages.
Built by Joel Addison Hayes, who married a daughter of Jefferson Davis, confederate president during the Civil War. In 1919 when Mr. Hayes died the three-story frame house was transferred to Grace Episcopal Church. Later it became the property of Adolph Fehringer.
ADDRESS: 908 N. Cascade
Gas-fired boilers maintain water temperature of 380 degrees F. under pressure of 400 lbs. Tunneling for pipes installed. (see Tiger May 1, 1959)
This functional building contains the refrigeration system to make ice for the ice rink next door, and boilers and generators required to distribute heat throughout the campus. The major buildings on campus are heated by hot water supplied by generators and distributed through a system of underground tunnels more than 3 miles long. The building was named for Leon E. Williams of Pueblo, benefactor for the project, and his 4 sisters. Parts of Rastall and Olin Hall, as well as Tutt Library and Packard Hall are air conditioned through a system of chilled water distr¬ibution. Air conditioning is not needed in most other buildings on campus because of the cool, dry climate Colorado Springs enjoys most of the year.
ADDRESS: 16 College Place
HONNEN ICE RINK
ADDRESS: 110 W. Cache La Poudre (1988); (joins Schlessman Pool)
Named for Edward H. Honnen family of Denver. Structure having a series of compound barrel arches of post tensioned concrete design chosen in order not to obstruct view of mountains from Rastall Center and provide he necessary clear span of the rink.
HONNEN TENNIS COURTS
ADDRESS: Northwest corner of Nevada & Cache La Poudre
In 1884 after the Columbian House burned to the ground, men students organized the Colorado College Hose Company. A firehouse, complete with a large alarm bell, hose cart and its 900 feet of hose.
ADDRESS: 1015 N. Nevada Ave.
Named on honor of Irving P. Howbert, pioneer of the Pikes Peak Region and trustee, 1880-1922.
ADDRESS: 20 E. San Rafael (razed)
Home of Dr. Will H. Swan. Extensive repairs made by Women’s Education Society to equip the 2 1/2 story house as an infirmary.
ADDRESS: 1029 N. Nevada Ave.
Jackson House is named for William Sharpless Jackson, husband of Helen Hunt Jackson (the author of Ramona) and trustee of the college. The 2 1/2 story house was built by a distinguished Colorado Springs architect for W.S. Montgomery, a mining broker and attorney. In 1914 the house was purchased by Judson M. Bemis, refurbished and donated to the college. Built of pale grey Castle Rock limestone, the building has been used for a student residence hall and as a classroom and office building. Today it is a theme residence hall for about 32 men and women. The Press at Colorado College was located in the basement of Jackson House from 1981 until 2009, when it moved to space adjacent to Taylor Theater. (Prior to 1981 the Press was in an upstairs room at the Fine Arts Center, space leased by the college.)
ADDRESS: 00 block of W. Cache la Poudre (razed)
KAPPA ALPHA THETA SORORITY
ADDRESS: Moved to East Campus, ca. 2000. Formerly: 1050 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 1020 Wood Ave.
Enlarged 1939, Eighteenth Century English style.
KAPPA KAPPA GAMMA SORORITY
ADDRESS: Moved to East Campus (1023 N. Nevada), ca. 2000. Formerly: 1160 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 1100 Wood Ave.
KAPPA SIGMA FRATERNITY
ADDRESS: 911 N. Nevada (razed)
Known as Grayson House after July 1943 while the Navy V-12 Training program was on campus.
KAPPA SIGMA FRATERNITY
ADDRESS: 1101 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 32 E. San Rafael
It was the plan of the college to have fraternity row on San Rafael across the street from Palmer Hall, with all of the institution’s five national fraternities eventually having residences in that section. It is a 2 story building with full basement containing private rooms, a dining hall, kitchens, chapter room and lounge. Kappa Sigma had $34,000 in their building fund. Hell Week was turned into Help Week in which members assisted the city in cleaning up Austin Bluffs and North Cheyenne Cannon Park to help raise money. Kappa Sigma was established on campus in 1904.
ADDRESS: 1110 N. Tejon (razed)
ADDRESS: Rastall Center, 1960; 117 E. Cache la Poudre, 1984; 912 N. Weber, 1992
LENNOX HOUSE (Known as Beta Theta Pi l961-1989; renamed Lennox House again, 1989)
ADDRESS: 1001 N. Nevada Ave.
This Moorish/ Southwest/Mission style house, built at the turn of the century, opened as a student center in Sept. 1937. The 17-room house was the legacy of William Lennox, a local banker and CC trustee from 1901-1936. A grille, bookstore, and organization offices were located in the center. The building housed about 30 Beta Theta Pi fraternity members. In 1989, it became a co-ed residence known as Lennox House (again) or the Multicultural House or Glass House (because the students who lived there felt under observation).
ADDRESS: 1104 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 24 College Place
Loomis Hall was originally designed as a women’s hall in 1956 by Thomas & Sweet of Colorado Springs. Named in honor of the first dean of women, Ruth Loomis, the hall now accommodates about 250 students, with separate facilities for men and women. It had a spacious lounge and recreation area. The college telephone center was located here. It originally contained Taylor Dining Hall, built of Ignimbrite or Welded Tuff, costing $250,000 and named for Alice Bemis Taylor.
ADDRESS: 1105 Wood Ave.
ADDRESS: 917 N. Nevada Ave. (razed?)
ADDRESS: 930 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 1000 N. Cascade Ave.
Originally a women’s dormitory for 45 freshmen, the building was named in honor of Marion McGregor Noyes, sister of Atherton Noyes, CC Professor. A fully equipped gymnasium for women was located in the basement. Later, used as a residence hall for 63 men. In 2005, both men and women students lived there. Public spaces renovated in the summer of 2011.
ADDRESS: 123 E. Uintah (1988); 1130 N. Nevada Ave.
Mathias Hall was designed to provide a variety of living accommodations. The 4-story building contains 8 six person suites each with a living room area, 6 ten person houses, 9 sixteen person core areas, and assorted other single and double rooms. Study lounges are located on each floor although some are converted to bedrooms when there is an overflow of students, kitchens on the first floor, a TV theater, conference rooms, a large lounge area, practice room for student bands, 2 bike storage rooms. Several student groups have resource centers in the building, ENACT, the campus environmental group, and CHAVERIM, the Jewish group. Called “Super Dorm” by the students, the hall accommodates over 300.
Mathias Hall was named after Henry Edwin Mathias, a professor of geology and an administrator who served the college in many different offices from 1927 1966.
MAX KADE HOUSE
ADDRESS: 1134 N. Cascade Ave.(1988); 1129 Wood Ave.
The Max Kade Foundation of New York provided $15,000 for remodeling and furnishing the house, and starting a library of German language books and records. Max Kade, President of the Foundation, was a German immigrant who became wealthy in the pharmaceutical industry. The two-story house is built in the Italian villa style.
USE: 2 buildings contained the dynamo and mechanical labs for carpentry, forging, and machine work. Colorado College catalog 1907.
MEADOW GOLD BUILDING
ADDRESS: 830 N. Tejon (1988); 27 E. Cache la Poudre
ADDRESS: 107-109 N. Tejon 1/20/39
ADDRESS: 1107 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 14 E. San Rafael
The Board of Trustees of the college voted in November of 1982 to name the house in honor of Charles Christopher Mierow, fifth president of Colorado College from 1923 to 1934. The house is a one-story bungalow.
ADDRESS: 1030 N. Cascade Ave.
Montgomery Hall was the first women’s residence erected on campus. Built of Castle Rock sandstone and furnished by the Women’s Educational Society who raised $15,000 through bazaars, lectures and various projects. The building was named after Elizabeth Robinson Montgomery, the sister of President Slocum’s wife. A sunporch was added about 1938, gift of Mrs. F. M. P. Taylor. The building was remodeled in 1937 by Edward L. Bunts. It boasts large single rooms.
MORREALE HOUSE (Lindley-Johnson-Vanderhoof House)
Address: 1130 North Cascade Avenue
The college purchased this house from the Morreale family in February 2000. Previous owners included Caroline B. Wills (though she did not live there), George E. Lindley, Herbert and Lucy N. Johnson, Dr. Don Allison Vanderhoof, and James and Lucille Vetesk. The Morreales lived in the house from the early 1960s until 1999.
ADDRESS: 1128 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 1121 Wood Ave.
BUILT: 1895 (razed)
N. NEVADA AVE. HOUSES
ADDRESS: 901 N. Nevada
ADDRESS: 921/23 N. Nevada
ADDRESS: 1015 N. Nevada (Howbert House)
ADDRESS: 1029 N. Nevada
ADDRESS: 1126 N. Nevada
ADDRESS: 1130 N. Nevada
NOB HILL OBSERVATORY
Early CC publications refer to sunshine records from “the Harvard station at Nob Hill” and “the station of the Western Association for Stellar Photography at Knob Hill, about two miles east of the college grounds.” (Both “Nob” and “Knob” spellings seem to have been in use.) See the 1908 CC course catalog, page 140, and/or other CC publications available on Google Books.
OLIN HALL OF SCIENCE
ADDRESS: 1002 N. Nevada Ave.
Olin Hall was donated to the college by the Olin Foundation. The building houses the departments of biology (4th floor), chemistry, (3rd floor) and physics (2nd floor). The deep set windows are due to the unique exoskeletal structure of the buildings. All utilities, including electrical, gas, plumbing, air conditioning, and ventilation are supplied to all rooms in the building through a 5 foot thick perimeter chase around the entire building on each floor. Most buildings use a central utilities chase.
On the ground floor are classrooms, a photo lab, a small lecture room, a machine shop, a small research lab and storage rooms. From this floor a tunnel leads to the lower level of the large lecture room (Olin 1), which is the central room in the appendage to the building on the west. Around this lecture room at the upper level is the glass enclosed lounge and the administrative office area nicknamed the “fishbowl.” A catwalk connects the two parts of the building at the upper level.
The chemistry department is on the third floor. Seminar rooms, research labs, classrooms and a stockroom are on this floor. Research space is much too small for the current move toward more student research during the undergraduate years, but plans are being made to increase the space for all departments in this building in the future.
A 185-seat auditorium is used for a lecture hall and film showings. The glass-enclosed wing contains a greenhouse used by the botany department.
ADDRESS: 5. W. Cache La Poudre (1988)
AREA: 52,740 sq. ft.
The building contains three basic units: a four level performance hall which seats 300. The unifying element is the skylighted gallery used for student exhibitions running the 250 ft. length of the building. The art studio block contains private studio offices for art faculty and semi private studios for advanced students. The studios offer a striking vies of Pikes Peak and the front range. The lower levels house photography, including a well equipped dark room, print making facilities as well as spacious areas for painting and sculpture.
The music section houses ten faculty teaching studios, seven sound proof practice rooms, four course rooms, and an electronic music studio. The electronic music studio houses a Synclavier digital synthesizer, a professional multi track recorder, amplifiers, speakers and other sound processing devices.
The Dr. Albert Seay Library of Music and Art houses scores, recordings, and thousands of slides for use in classes.
The building was a gift of Mr. and Mrs. David Packard of Palo Alto, Ca. in memory of Mr. Packard’s parents, Sperry S. and Ella Graber Packard, both graduates of the class of 1902. David Packard is one of the founders of the electronics firm, Hewlett ¬Packard.
ADDRESS: 1025 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 116 E. San Rafael
Named for General William Jackson Palmer, the founder of Colorado Springs and benefactor of the college, Palmer Hall was originally built as a science and administration building. It was built of peachblow sandstone quarried in the Frying Pan River near Aspen, Colorado and brought to CC on the Colorado Midland Railroad. The interior had been remodeled several times, most recently in the 1970s. The 30 classrooms were remodeled, the ventilation system replaced, new carpeting installed, and the Gates Common Room for faculty was completed. Gates Common Room, which now seats about 200 people, formerly housed the college museum. (Many of the materials from the museum, including the whale skeleton, are now at the Denver Museum of Natural History.)
When it became evident that the college needed a new science building, General Palmer initiated the building fund by pledging $25,000. Dr. Pearsons and W. S. Stratton of Cripple Creek mining fame, followed Palmer’s example, each donating $50,000 in the spring of 1901. Soon after, a local street car company, owned by Stratton, requested the right of way through the center of campus on Tejon Street. The Board of Trustees denied the request because they felt it would disrupt the college atmosphere and that the dust from the trolley would disturb the delicate balance of the instruments in the science labs. The street car company appealed to the City Council for the right to run their tracks through the college. During the Council Meeting, President Slocum from CC argued against the street cars on the grounds that the original deed to the campus, given by the Colorado Springs Company was issued on the condition that the land be used solely for educational purposes. The City Council must have agreed with Slocum’s argument, because they voted unanimously to deny the trolley petition.
On September, 1901, a $100,000 anonymous gift was received for the construction of Palmer Hall. It was rumored to be from General Palmer because he recommended that the building be located on the northern end of campus, squarely across Tejon Street facing south. When the building was finally constructed it was placed exactly where Palmer suggested. The original Palmer Hall was renamed Cutler Hall.
On the first floor were laboratories for chemistry, physics, metallurgy and a large demonstration and lecture room. The second floor housed general lecture rooms, and other laboratories for chemistry and physics. The third floor contained laboratories for biology and psychology, general lecture rooms and a large, well-lighted museum for natural science collections.
Near the head of the west stairway is a large bronze tablet dedicated to General William Jackson Palmer by the survivors of the 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Mr. George Foster Peabody of New York, who was a member of the Board of Trustees of Colorado College from 1898-1932 presented a bronze bas-relief of General William Jackson Palmer, the work of Evelyn Beatrice Longman Batchelder. It was unveiled March 12, 1929.
The quote above the main doors, “Know the truth, and the truth shall make you free,” is from the Bible, John 8:31-32, King James version: “31 Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed. 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
PATHS ACROSS CAMPUS
During the summer of 2011, many of the higher-use campus paths were paved and made into sidewalks with red stone tiles along the edges. Red stone tiles were placed in front of Palmer Hall and in the center of the quad.
ADDRESS: 1106 N. Cascade Ave.
PERKINS FINE ARTS HALL
The lower story contained an auditorium, seating 600. The pipe organ in this room was given by Miss Elizabeth Cheney of Boston, Mass., in memory of her brother Charles P. Cheney. The upper story contained the lecture and practice rooms of the Music Department, the College Art Gallery, and the Carnegie Art Collections.
PHI DELTA THETA FRATERNITY
ADDRESS: 1110 N. Nevada Ave. (1988); 116 E. San Rafael
PHI DELTA THETA FRATERNITY
ADDRESS: 1105 N. Nevada
Phi Delta Theta founded 1913. Building was also known as Kirkpatrick House after July 1943 when the Navy V-12 Training Program was on campus.
PHI GAMMA DELTA FRATERNITY
ADDRESS: 1122 N. Cascade
USE: Residence for civilian men and emergency infirmary (1944). Founded 1908. Residence enlarged, stuccoed, redecorated and remodeled in 1925.
PHI GAMMA DELTA FRATERNITY
ADDRESS: 103 E. Uintah (1988); 102 E. San Rafael
The three fraternity houses built in 1961 are of steel beam construction with brick and stucco exteriors. The interiors are identical in design. The buildings are two-story structures with basement. The main floors contain a lounge, dining room and kitchen. The second floors have 18 bedrooms. The basements have recreation rooms, a lounge, laundry room and trunk room.
ADDRESS: 1125 N. Glen Ave.
This building, with its unique architectural design, was built by Anne Gregory Van Briggle as a memorial to her husband. Artus Van Briggle, a Dutch artist who studied in Paris, worked with Professor Streiby, a CC metallurgist, to develop a pottery glaze similar to that used during the Ming dynasty. Collections of this award winning work eventually became permanent exhibits at the Louvre and the Smithsonian Institute.
The physical plant coordinates all major maintenance and facility expansion. The building is also headquarters for campus security and vehicle registration. The towers of the kilns and the famous Van Briggle tiles may be seen in the exterior of his lovely old building designed by Dutch architect Nicholas Van Den Arend.
ADDRESS: 1144 N. Glen
PI KAPPA ALPHA FRATERNITY
ADDRESS: 1115 Wood Ave. (1931)
THE PREPARATORY SCHOOL (later Cutler Academy)
J. Juan Reid, Colorado College: The First Century (1979), p. 11: “The preparatory division opened on May 6, 1874, in a rented room in the Wanless Block, located in the center of town on the northwest corner of Pikes Peak Avenue and Tejon Street. Eighteen students were enrolled under the tutelage of Minnie MacKenzie and [Jonathan] Edwards.” A glass negative showing the building (SL81-11n, C04), however, has it at the southwest corner. In the 1879 Colorado Springs city directory, the First National Bank’s address is the northwest corner of Pikes Peak and Tejon. In January 1880, the preparatory division moved to the new College building (see Cutler Hall). In 1888, it became known as Cutler Academy. It was dissolved in 1914.
PRESIDENT’S HOUSE (1955-2002 and 2011-)
ADDRESS: 1210 Wood Ave. (originally Earl’s Court)
The 13-room colonial style structure is built on two levels. It was originally built in 1900 for attorney William O’Brien and his wife. The college purchased the house in 1955 from Robert Hendee, and all CC presidents from Louis Benezet onward lived in it (other than Dick Celeste, who lived in Stewart House, 1228 Wood, from 2002-2011). In 2011, major renovations to 1210 took place in advance of the new president, Jill Tiefenthaler, moving in with her family.
PRESIDENT’S HOUSE (pre-1955) (Slocum House, Tenney House)
ADDRESS: 24 College Place
In 1939, the President's House was converted to a dormitory and renamed Slocum House. When Slocum Hall (130 East Cache le Poudre) was built in 1954, Slocum House was briefly renamed Tenney House. It was razed in 1955.
ADDRESS: 100 E. Cache la Poudre
A group of 10 temporary units was erected as rental housing for World War II Veterans in 1946. The community known as Tigertown at one time consisted of 18 families with 27 children.
RASTALL STUDENT CENTER
ADDRESS: 12 W. Cache La Poudre
Benjamin Rastall, for whom Rastall Center is named, was a graduate of Colorado College in 1901, trustee from 1950-1960. He provided 1/3 of the cost of the student center. As a student, Rastall worked his way through college by working at various jobs. He was one of the first people in the West to use a typewriter, and convert telegraph messages to print using a typewriter.
The 3 story student center was built in 1958 in a contemporary style “not expected to set a pattern for future campus buildings.” The center housed a 125-seat snack bar called the Hub, the college bookstore, a student operated radio station KRCC, student organ¬ization offices, meeting rooms, a campus information desk, a games room with pool tables and pinball machines, the Security Education Office, mailboxes for students who live off campus, and a large central dining room which seats 400. An Arts and Crafts room which includes a ceramics studio is also located in the center, as well as offices for the Leisure Program Coordi¬nator.
Benjamin’s Basement, a late-night student coffee house or pub, opened in 1975. It served 3.2 beer along with snacks and drinks. It closed when Rastall was enlarged and remodeled in 1986 and renamed the Lloyd E. Worner Campus Center (see Worner Center).
ADDRESS: 1120 N. Cascade Ave.
SAN LUIS BUILDING
ADDRESS: 126 E. Cache la Poudre, Nevada & Cache La Poudre
SAN RAFAEL APARTMENTS
ADDRESS: 214 E. San Rafael
ADDRESS: 44 W. Cache La Poudre (1988)
SHOVE MEMORIAL CHAPEL
ADDRESS: 1010 N. Nevada Ave. (1988); 1000 N. Nevada Ave.
BELLS: The chapel has five bells. The largest one, weighing 11,200 pounds, sounds the hour. Four smaller bells serving as chimes sound the quarter hour. The smallest bell, which is 31 1/4 inches in diameter, sounds the note “C”. The next, 35 inches in diameter, sounds “A”. The third, 40 inches, sounds “G”. The smallest of the chimes weighs 672 pounds. Inscribed on the large bell is a quotation from “The Prophet” by Kahlid Gibran: “Yesterday is but today’s memory and tomorrow is today’s dream.” The bells were transported from England to New York on the steamer Minnetonka of the Atlantic Transport Line, then transferred to another ship and conveyed to San Francisco by way of the Panama Canal. They came to Colorado Springs on the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad.
ORGAN: The organ, built by Welte Tripp Organ Corporation, cost $25,000. It has three manuals, three pedals, fifty-four speaking stops, and over three thousand pipes. Nearly all the pipes are hidden from view. The mechanism for the instrument occupies a room in the basement of the chapel. The organ weighs 40,000 pounds and is enclosed in a hand carved oak case costing $3,500. The display pipes, which the congregation sees, are also speaking pipes. The highest spire is 30 feet tall and the entire front gives the appearance of a miniature cathedral.
WINDOWS: The Chancel Rose Window was a gift of Mrs. L. A. Thatcher of Pueblo as a memorial to her late husband, Mahlon Daniel Thatcher. This window portrays the seven liberal arts: Grammar, Rhetoric, and Dialectics (the Trivium), and Arithmetic, Geometry, Astronomy and Music (the Quadrivium). To these have been added the three faculties of the medieval universities: Law, Medicine, and Theology, the latter at the top of the window. The two rose windows in the Transept represent Science and the Humanities. The south-facing green rose window, in the form of a wheel, honors the Great Teachers of Art. Radiating from the symbol of Philosophy in the center are representations of Alcuin, Roger Bacon, Petrach, Erasmus, Jogn Colet, St. Ignatius Loyola, Melancthon, and Comenius. The ten windows in the Nave present the “History of Introduction of Christianity into Britain” from A. D. 51 55 to 862.
WEST ENTRY: The ceiling is inscribed “So shall they fear the name of the Lord from the west and his glory from the rising of the sun,” done in gold upon a field of blue. The plant-like figures to the north and south represent the Tree of Life and Knowledge.
PILGRIM ROOM: From east to west on the southern half of this ceiling are displayed the arms of the cities of Cambridge, England; Kings College; and Amherst. On the northern half are the arms of the Diocese of Winchester, England; Princeton University; and Syracuse University.
ADDRESS: 1121 N. Nevada Ave. (1988); 1117 N. Nevada Ave.
Founded 1905. Building also known as Berry House after July 1943 when Navy V-12 Training program was on campus.
SIGNAL ROCK CABIN (Gilmore-Stabler Mountain Cabin)
ADDRESS: Florissant, Colorado
Land comprises 1/2 of Signal Rock Ranch. Donated as a field laboratory and biological preserve in 1976 in honor of Dr. Ralph Gilmore, professor of biology, 1919-1946.
SLOCUM HALL / SOUTH HALL
ADDRESS: 130 E. Cache La Poudre (1988); 900 N. Nevada Ave.
Originally named for William Frederick Slocum, president of the college from 1888-1917. The brick and concrete building marked a change in construction methods for campus buildings: previously all buildings had been stone. Construction of the south wing in 1957-58 added about 90 beds. At that time, rooms were singles and doubles; in 2017, Slocum Hall contained 270 beds in doubles and triples. When the "Slocum Affair" received new attention in 2018, the building was re-named South Hall.
ADDRESS: south side of Cache la Poudre
Moved with two other temporary buildings (East and West Hall) to campus from Peterson Field in 1947. South Hall was the site of the radio studio.
ADDRESS: 830 N. Tejon
Purchased in 1991 and named for William I. Spencer, CC Class of 1939 and Chairman of the Board of Trustees in the 1980s. The building has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1983. From 1901-1903, CC rented the west wing for a women’s dormitory, and the college bookstore was on the main floor from 1920-1941.
Stewart Field is used for soccer, lacrosse and women’s field hockey today. On Memorial Day 1935 a devastating flood swept down Monument Creek destroying part of Monument Valley Park. The disaster proved to be a blessing for Colorado College. The four acre sector of the park was deeded to the college by the city. Philip B. Stewart, a trustee of the college, then provided funds to convert the area into a baseball diamond and football practice field.
ADDRESS: 1228 Wood Ave.
Stewart House was completed around 1898 for Mr. and Mrs. Ralph J. Preston and purchased by the Stewarts in 1902. Preston was a prominent attorney for the Colorado Springs firm Hall, Prescott and Babbitt. The house, with its brick walls, stone columns, and Greek-Corinthian style arches was one of the first homes built on “Millionaires’ Row.” Mrs. Preston died from complications in childbirth in 1900, and her husband immediately sold “the Castle.”
Mr. and Mrs. Philip Battell Stewart bought the property in 1902 for $45,000. Philip Stewart became a trustee of Colorado College in 1900 and coached the CC baseball team from 1902-05. He had grown up in Vermont where his father had served as governor, congressional representative and Senator. He was a successful businessman with interests in mining and Colorado politics, and a friend and hunting companion of President Theodore Roosevelt, who visited the Stewart House in 1904 or ‘05 before and after a Colorado hunting trip. Stewart ran for governor of Colorado unsuccessfully in 1912, became the chairman of the state Republican Party in 1915 and speaker of the Colorado House of Representatives in 1916. He was an avid conservationist and fought exploitation Colorado’s natural resources as well as corruption in business.
“PB” Stewart was also an art lover and decorated his home lavishly. A fine collection of Audubon prints were displayed on the dining room walls. Oriental carpeting covered the ornately carved stairway, hung from the second floor railings and covered the floors throughout the house. Colorful fabric wall coverings from India were used in the south living rooms. The dining room held a “Jacobethan” table and sideboard and a straight-back Elizabethan chairs covered in needlepoint. These were commissioned by Mrs. Stewart to tell the story of Pocahontas and Captain John Smith. The “chinoiseerie” wall covering was designed by the artist Jean Pillement round 1770. Robert Lewis Stevenson once owned the porcelain platter displayed on the mantel.
The Stewarts contributed generously to the college over the years, donating scholarships and financing the purchase of "Stewart Field" as well as its restoration after the devastating 1935 Monument Creek flood. In her will, Sarah Francis Cowles Stewart bequeathed her home to Colorado College with the provision that her husband and the caretaker family would live there until their deaths. She died in 1948. Mr. Stewart retired from CC in 1954 and died in 1957. He had been a Colorado College trustee for over fifty years.
At first the building housed visiting faculty and other guests while President Benezet attempted to find an appropriate “professional or charitable organization” to use the space. Apartments and a “Faculty Club” were also suggested. Complaints from neighbors and zoning questions soon started to limit the possibilities. When Provost James Stauss and his wife Harriet moved in, the house once again became a social center and meeting place for the “Faculty Club.” Since Stauss’s death in 1976, a succession of residents have acted as “hosts” for college related functions.
The large, grand house contains four fireplaces upstairs and five downstairs, and has seven bedrooms. Although many of the furnishings and valuable artworks have been removed and other pieces have been donated, the dining room still holds the Stewarts’ table, chairs and sideboard, and the Stevenson platter sits on the mantle. Several family portraits decorate other rooms. The Butler’s Pantry (later the kitchen) has a “bell system.” The two-story entryway with its carved columns and paneling in black Italian walnut still provides an impressive welcome to visitors.
From 2002-2011, Stewart House was the President’s House for Richard Celeste and his family.
STUDENT CULTURAL CENTER
ADDRESS: 1070 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 1060 Wood Ave.
ADDRESS: Behind Hagerman
TEJON ST. PROPERTY
ADDRESS: 1131 N. Tejon; 15 E. Uintah
The Shoup mansion, once the home of former Colorado governor Oliver Henry Shoup, was built by Verner Z. Reed. The carriage house was remodeled into a private home.
ADDRESS: 1112 N. Cascade Ave.
Tenney House was named for Edward Payson Tenney (CC president 1876-1884) when the former Tenney House (also known as President’s House) was razed to make way for Loomis Hall. It was built in 1886 by Springs contractor S.E. Sessions for William Anderson. City directories have Dr. and Mrs. Charles Fox Gardiner at this address from 1913-1946.
ADDRESS: 926 N. Cascade Ave. (1988); 1010 N. Cascade Ave.
Ticknor Hall is a women’s residence hall. It was named in honor of Miss Anna Ticknor, a dear friend of the donor, Mrs. Elizabeth Cheney Kaufman. The building is constructed of Ute Pass sandstone in classic Renaissance style.
The hall originally contained a dining room, kitchen, servant’s room, a large cold storage room, a bicycle stable, and an infirmary. For a time, the Career Center was located in Ticknor on the lower level.
ADDRESS: Corner Weber and Columbia
TUTT ALUMNI HOUSE
ADDRESS: 1205 N. Cascade Ave.
This house contains 9 fireplaces, a full basement and a 6-car garage.
ADDRESS: 1021 N. Cascade Ave.
TUTT LIBRARY ADDITION
ADDRESS: 1021 N. Cascade Ave.
With the opening of the new wing and extensive modification of the original building in September 1980, Tutt Library ranked among the finest and largest college level academic facilities in the U. S. The expansion project was founded by a grant from the El Pomar Foundation of Colorado Springs.
After the expansion, the facility consisted of 79,000 sq. ft. and had a stack capacity for 500,000 volumes and a seating capacity of 800. (At that time, the book collection was about 305,000 volumes.) In 1882 the books were classified according to the Dewey Decimal Classif¬ication system by Frank Loud, a science professor and librarian who was a classmate of Melvil Dewey’s at Amherst when Dewey first introduced his scheme. The Dewey system was used until 1987 when conversion to Library of Congress began.
In 2004, the lower two floors of the annex were renovated to make room for the Learning Commons, which included the Colket Student Learning Center (Writing Center, Quantitative Reasoning Center, Office of First Year and Sophomore Studies and Advising, Colket Fellow in Reading and Writing), the CAT lab, and the Crown Faculty Center.
TUTT LIBRARY MAJOR RENOVATION 2017
COMPLETED: Fall 2017
TUTT SCIENCE CENTER (Russell T. Tutt Science Center)
ADDRESS: 1112 N. Nevada
A “green” building, designed to pass or exceed LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) standards. Houses Environmental Science, Psychology/Neuroscience, Mathematics, and Geology. Named for Russell T. Tutt, CC board member from 1957-1992, Chairman of the El Pomar Foundation, and son of Charles Leaming Tutt. In 2005 it became the first building in southern Colorado to earn LEED certification.
ADDRESS: 15 W. Uintah
ADDRESS: 17 W. Uintah
Washburn Field is located west of the campus in the bottom land east of Monument Creek. It was constructed in 1898. In 1899 Washburn Field was named for Rev. Philip Washburn, a rector of St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church and a personal friend of General Palmer’s. Rev. Washburn was very interested in the college, and it is said he never missed a practice or an athletic event of the college. It included a football field encircled by a 440 yard track, a baseball diamond, a grandstand seating 600 including box seats, and parking space for carriages, tallyhos, and other vehicles. It was dedicated May 12, 1898 preceding a Colorado College Colorado School of Mines baseball game.
In 1925 Edmund C. van Diest, then trustee of the college embarked on a planning and construction of a 9,000 seat stadium with stands for both sides of Washburn Field. James J. Burns, Colorado plumber contributed funds to build these additional stands. In addition a turf playing field was installed to replace the hard dirt playing surface. This was completed in the fall of 1926.
ADDRESS: 1105 N. Nevada Ave.
USE: Occupied by Phi Delta Theta Fraternity from 1927 1959. Most recently it had been the home of Ruth Washburn Cooperative Nursery, the Junior League and the Retarded Children’s Association.
This 17-room house was built for R.F. Weitbrec, an official of the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad.
ADDRESS: west of Palmer, adjacent to Cascade Ave.
This building with East Hall and South Hall were moved from Peterson Field in 1947. West Hall was used for offices and classrooms. Sold to Boyce House Moving Company in 1961.
WESTERN RIDGE HOUSING COMPLEX
ADDRESS: SW corner of Cascade and Uintah
Includes building named after fourteeners: Crestone, El Diente, Elbert, Windom (Spanish), Antero, Blanca. Elbert, 1138 N. Cascade, is also known as building E-F, Elf House, and Asian Language House. It has a Japanese garden designed by Master Gardener Takashi Hayashi of Tokyo in 2003. Upgrades to kitchens, floors, and finishes began in the summer of 2011. In the fall of 2011, the West Wing was Italian and the East Wing was Japanese and Chinese.
ADDRESS: 44 W. Cache La Poudre St.
The observatory building contains a lecture room, study, transit room and dome room.
WOMAN’S CLUB OF COLORADO SPRINGS CLUBHOUSE
ADDRESS: 20 Mesa Road
See Ms 0366 in CC Special Collections for more information.
WOOD AVENUE HOUSES
ADDRESS: 1107-09 Wood Ave.
ADDRESS: 1111 Wood Ave.
ADDRESS: 1115 Wood Ave.
ADDRESS: 1119 Wood Ave. (razed 1978)
ADDRESS: 1130 Wood Ave.
ADDRESS: 1137 Wood Ave.
ADDRESS: 1103 Wood Ave.
ADDRESS: 1206 Wood Ave.
ADDRESS: 1116 N. Cascade Ave. (1988)
ADDRESS: 902 N. Cascade Ave.
Named in honor of former President Lloyd E. “Lew” Worner, the new student center is built around its predecessor Rastall Center. In 1987, the newly remodeled structure included a 489-seat dining hall (Gaylord Hall), a bookstore, galleries for students’ and professionals’ art and crafts display (Coburn Gallery), a post office, various meeting rooms, offices for the Leisure program and for student organizations, and “Benjamin’s, an update of the Hub quick-grill that existed in the old center.
Rooms in the new center were named for historic buildings and residence halls formerly part of the campus. In addition to Gaylord Hall and Coburn Gallery named above, other rooms include Perkins Lounge and Commons, Rastall Dining Hall, the Wolcott Room and Benjamin’s on the main level; Hagerman Student Organization Area, the Edwards Room, Gregg Room, Hayes Room, Hershey Room, Howbert Room, Peabody Room and Quonset Room are located on the second level. The W.E.S. Room is on the lower level. Also in Worner: Office of Minority Student Life (founded 1990), became Office of Minority and International Students (OMIS, 2007), became the Butler Center, named for African-American alum Ellis Ulysses Butler, Jr., CC class of 1940.
During the summer of 2011, the dining areas in Worner were significantly remodeled.
ADDRESS: 215 E. Yampa
maintained by Special Collections; last revised, 4-2022, jr.